Room 405
  • Home
  • The Collection
  • Collecting Themes
  • Missing Medals
  • Contact us
  • Overview
  • Picture Gallery
 

A Key Mayor 

Councillor George John Jailler  JP  Mayor of Waltham Abbey  1981-82 1986-87

Picture
Picture
The Man   George John Jailler was born on Thursday 16th December 1915 in Bethnal Green, his mother’s maiden name was Biss.  He had one older brother, Henry John born on 8th June 1911.  In 1938, George is shown as living with his Brother Henry at 513 Hackney Road in Hackney and by 1939 living alone.  In the 1939 census, George does not appear, but his future wife Gladys Maud Adamson is shown  living with her parents, William and Annie at 115 Haselbury Road.  Her occupation was given as a Cashier at a Greengrocery and he surname later changed to Jailler.  During the first quarter of 1941, George married Gladys in Edmonton.
                                                                         Past Mayors Jewel
It is unknown what George did during World War II, but by 1946 he was living with Gladys and her mother at 115 Haselbury Road, and appears to have lived there for most of his life, and certainly until 1963.  George became involved in local politics and elected onto the Waltham Abbey Town Council.  He was elevated to Mayor on two occasions during the municipal years of 1981-82 and 1986-87. He also sat on the bench as a local magistrate.  In later life George lived at Parema Sewardstone and died on 31st January 2004 aged 88.  He was cremated and his ashes scattered at Holy Innocents Churchyard, High Beach Epping Forest, Essex.  Gladys survived him by two years and died on 26th March 2006 and her remains are with George.
The Story   The Past Mayors Jewel awarded to George John Jailler was acquired from E-Bay on 9th September 2018.  As is always the case with Mayoral jewels it was of interest due to the potential for research.  Enquires with Waltham Abbey Town Hall led to the Mayor’s Secretary kindly sending pictures of the Past Mayors Roll of Honour and likewise the Church of the Holy Innocents.  Enquiries are ongoing with the local press to try and uncover archive material from George Jailler’s two years in office.  Due to his age it is also likely he may have served during world War II, thus be entitled to medals.
Picture
Picture
Past Mayors of Waltham Abbey
Picture
Waltham Abbey Town Hall, Highbridge Street, Waltham Abbey.
Picture
Picture
Picture
The Church of The Holy Innocent's, High Beach, Epping Forest.
Picture
Waltham Abbey
Official blazon:

Arms: Argent on a Cross engrailed Sable a Lion's Face between four Crosses bottonnée Or.
Crest: Out of a Coronet composed of six Fleurs-de-Lys set upon a Rim Or a demi-Stag at gaze proper charged on the shoulder with a Fountain and holding in the mouth a Seaxe the blade Argent the hilt and pommel Or mantled Gules doubled Argent.
Motto: 'SANCTAE NOMINE CRUCIS' - The Holy Cross by name.
Origin/meaning
The arms were granted on November 9, 1956. The town of Waltham was traditionally founded by Tovi or Tofig, when he built a wooden church to house the miracle-working crucifix (The Holy Cross) discovered on his estate in Somerset. The wooden church was later replaced by one of stone by Earl (later King) Harold Godwinson, who was traditionally buried here after the Battle of Hastings. Harold's association with the town is recalled by the lion's face from the arms attributed to him.  In 1184 the Priory founded in 1177 by Henry II on the site of Harold's church, as part of his penance for his role in the murder of Thomas Becket, was replaced by an Abbey. The Abbey, from whose arms the black cross on white is taken, grew to become one of the richest in Essex and held extensive lands from the 12th century until it was the last abbey to be dissolved in 1540. The modern Epping Forest, which was formerly known as Waltham Forest and covers a large area of the parish, is represented by the stag and the crown, an indication that it was a royal hunting preserve. The River Lea, which forms the western boundary and the King George V Reservoir are represented by the fountain, an heraldic symbol for water. The seaxe and the red and white of the mantling are from the arms of the Essex County Council, these colours are also the liveries of the Corporation of London, present controllers of Epping Forest.  The arms are presently used by the Waltham Abbey town council.

Click here to see the Past Mayors of Waltham Abbey
Click here to read about Waltham Abbey Town Council
With thanks to Waltham Abbey Town Council
With thanks to Beth Horton, Parish Co-ordinator Church of the Holy Innocents Epping Forest.
Medal Details
  • Past Mayor's Jewel:  COUNCILLOR GEORGE.J.JAILLER JP  
Return to: The Collection
Go to Previous Page:   William Thomas JACKSON   
Go to next Page:  A G JAMES   
This page last updated 20 Feb 19
Return to Top of Page
Powered by Create your own unique website with customizable templates.